Coriander is a herbaceous hardy annual plant. It has erect slender branching stems which are bright green. The flowers are small, pink, pale, blue or white. The upper leaves are wispy and finely divided. The lower leaves are broad and undivided. The fruits are crowned with minute calyx. Coriander is grown from seed and prefers warm dry conditions to grow. The seeds are slow in germinating. The coriander is used as one of the world's coldest spices. It's useful parts are seeds and leaves. The fresh leaves are also called cilantro. Since coriander is highly perishable so fresh coriander should always be stored in refrigerator especially with roots attached.
Coriander is considered as an aid to the digestive system. It is appetite stimulant and helps in secretion of gastric juices. It works as carminative. The essential oil of leaves is anti-bacterial and fungicidal. Coriander herb is very low in calories. The coriander seeds are referred as anti-diabetic and anti inflammatory and have anti cholesterol properties. Coriander acts as diuretic and thus relieves fluid retention in the body. The deep green leaves of coriander possess good amount of antioxidants, Vitamins & dietary fibers.
Eye flue eyelid
• Like conjunctivitis, i.e oedema.
• Eyes are rinsed with cooled decoction of seeds.
• Paste made by dhaniya leaves is applied on lids.
• Paste of fresh leaves is applied on forehead.
• Dhaniya seeds are chewed to remove bad breath.
In mouth ulcer and burning mouth
• Paste of dhaniya leaves is applied on ulcer.
In allergic conditions:
• The fresh juice of leaves is taken internally and pulp is applied externally in skin allergy.
• The seed powder is mixed with mulethi and pippali and is given with honey.
• It helps cleaning mucus from the lungs due to its antispasmodic and expectorant properties.
In joint pains:
• Coriander oils is applied on painful joints.
• Internally seeds are given with jeera and jaggery.
• Dhaniya seeds are soaked in water with one teaspoon amla powder over night and next morning filter the water and take for curing baldness.
• 10 gms of dhaniya seeds are soaked in 100 ml of water overnight and taken as drink in the morning for 7 days.
In irritable bowels
• decoction of dhaniya seeds is used.
• The seeds powder is used together with fennel and cumin.
• The coriander seeds are mild diaphoretic and can help to alleviate fever. The seeds powder with fresh juice of leaves and fresh ginger. Juice is given in fever.
• corn silk, (threads of corn) tea with daily coriander seeds is taken.
Considering coriander's proven uses as well as its safe uses it rightfully deserves the name 'Dhanyak' that means wealth. So being rich in its properties it is beneficial in all aspects for human life.
Dr. Rajni Thakur
Department of Shalakya Tantra
Dayanand Ayurvedic College & Hospital,