Getting pregnant and giving birth to a baby has been a dream for almost every woman in this world. However, for some woman this dream proves to be a big problem because they are not able to conceive and to give birth to a living baby. This problem of failure to reproduce is termed as female infertility. The problem of female infertility is mainly because a woman is not able to perform sex perfectly. Sometimes it is due to functional fault of the reproductive organ or due to some physical fault. Unhealthy living pattern, consumption of unhealthy diet for long term can be factors leading to physical fault. In some cases the diseases like constipation, leucorrhoea and anemia can result in the problem of female infertility. The other problems which may be responsible for female infertility include improper functioning of metabolic system, essential glands and obesity etc.
Due to the problem of infertility a woman may undergo various disorders including stress, prolonged anxiety, depression, constipation lack of interest in the world around, lack of appetite etc. If you are facing the problem of infertility you should avoid taking alcoholic drinks, strong tea and coffee, fried foods, greasy and fatty foods etc because these things can make the symptoms worse.
Consumption of healthy diet which is rich in vitamins and minerals is very helpful in treatment of sterility. Unfortunately medical science is not yet able to discover medicine which can cure female infertility successfully. However, there are a number of home base treatments which can be very helpful in treatment of female infertility.
There is no successful treatment for female infertility in modern medications. However, certain home remedies or herbal remedies can help in the treatment of female infertility.
1. Fasting: Is the best remedy for the treatment of disorders resulting from toxins in the system. A short fast of two or three day should be undertaken at regular intervals by women who are unable to bear children.
2. Banyan Roots: The tender roots of the banyan tree are one of the valuable remedies found beneficial in the treatment of female sterility where there are no organic defect or congenital deformities. These roots should be dried in the shade and finely powdered. About twenty grams of this powder should be mixed with milk, which should be five times the weight of this powder, and taken at night for three consecutive nights after the monthly periods are over. When this remedy is administered, other foods should be eaten for a short while thereafter. This remedy should be repeated after the completion of the menstrual cycle every month till conception takes place.
3. Egg plant: Egg plant is considered to be very effective in female sterility. For this, we can cook the egg plants and then eat with butter milk daily. This could be continued at least a month.
4. Black berry (Jamun) leaves: A infusion of the fresh tender leaves of black berry fruit is an excellent remedy for sterility or miscarriage due to an ovarian or endometrium functional disorder. The infusion can be prepared by pouring 250 ml of boiling water over 20 gm of fresh black berry leaves, and allowing it to steep for two hours. The infusion may be taken with either two teaspoons of honey or 200 ml of buttermilk.
5. Winter cherry: The herb winter cherry is another valuable remedy found helpful in sterility. The herbs should be powdered and six grams of this powder should be taken with one cup of milk for five to six nights after menstruation.
6. Nutrients: Certain nutrients, especially vitamins C and E, and zinc, have been found helpful in some case of sterility. A woman who is unable to conceive should taking 1000 mg of vitamin C, 100 I.U. of vitamin E and 30 mg of zinc daily.
7. Warm-water enema: The bowels should be cleansed by a warm-water enema during the period of fasting and afterwards when necessary. This will have a beneficial effect not only on the digestive system but also on the surrounding organs of the urinary and genital system.
8. Yogasanas: Certain Yogasanas which are said to tone up the gonads or ovaries should also be practiced regularly for overcoming female sterility. These asanas are sarvangasana, matsyasana, ardhamatsyendrasana, paschimottanasana and shalabhasana. All these measures, along with clean habits, proper rest, and relaxation will go a long way in overcoming female sterility.
9. Mud packs and cold water treatment: Other helpful measures in overcoming female sterility are mud packs and cold water treatments like a hip bath and wet girdle pack. These treatments greatly improve internal circulation in the genital organs and relieve them of all kinds of inflammation and other abnormalities. Mud packs may be applied to the abdomen and sexual organs. The cold hip bath should be taken for ten minutes at a water temperature of 10 degree C-18.3 degree C. For a wet girdle pack, a thin underwear wrung in cold water should be worn. Over this, a thick, dry cotton or woolen underwear should be worn. All cold treatments should be suspended during menstruation.
10. Diet: Diet is an important factor in the treatment of infertility. It should contain seeds, nuts, grains, vegetables, and fruits. These foods should be supplemented with milk, vegetable oils and honey. Curd and cottage cheese are also recommended.
Foods to be avoided: Excessive fat, spicy foods, strong tea, coffee, white sugar, white flour, refined cereals, flesh foods, greasy or fried foods should all be avoided.
1. M.D. Scholar Deptt. Agad Tantra,
2. Assitant professor, Deptt. of Agad Tantra,
3. Associate professor & HOD Deptt. of Agad Tantra,
National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur.