A tumor is a mass of abnormal tissue. There are two types of breast cancer tumors: those that are non-cancerous, or ‘benign’, and those that are cancerous, which are ‘malignant’. Breast cancer is one of the fiercest ailments faced by a lot of women: In many cases, it turns out to be fatal as it is not detected in its early stages. But if one pays a little heed towards protecting one’s own health, simple steps can wave off the risk of breast cancer. It is surely a difficult disease to fight but if taken care of well in advance, one can survive it.
Benign Breast Tumors
• granular cell tumors
• intraductal papillomas
• phyllodes tumors
• fat necrosis
Cancerous Breast Tumors
• Lobular carcinoma in situ
• Iductal carcinoma
• lobular carcinoma
• Less common types of breast cancer
» Inflammatory breast cancer
» Triple-negative breast cancer
» Paget disease of the nipple
» Phyllodes tumor
All it takes is a little effort and a cautious lifestyle! So, let us have a look at few best ways to prevent the risks of breast cancer.
1. Try being fit, not overweight: In women, cancer becomes a bigger threat especially after menopause. Although, with today’s lifestyle changes the onset can be even earlier as well. Being obese or overweight increases the chances of getting breast cancer at that post-menopause age. Try to maintain a body mass index prescribed by a fitness expert according to age, height and weight.
2. Eat right and healthy: Foods like berries, pomegranates, pluses, etc. are rich in antioxidants and many more vital nutrients that can help to keep breast cancer risk at bay. Processed foods and sugars can significantly increase the risk of cancer. Know about these foods and include them in your diet.
3. Stay physically fit:
Just to maintain weight is not enough, one has to stay physically active as well. An inactive lifestyle with no exercise can drastically increase the odds of cancer. Regular exercise strengthens the immune system and reduces the risk of breast cancer by 10 to 30 percent. A 30 minutes’ walk can do a lot of good for your body.
4. Stay away from alcohol, smoking, and recreational drugs : Having alcohol once in a blue moon does not harm as far as breast cancer is concerned but, for those who have a family history of the disease should avoid it completely. Alcohol is also believed to increase the estrogen levels in the body. Avoids smoking as it not only lowers the risk of breast cancer but is good for your overall health as well.
5. Breast feed your baby: A proven fact that those women who breastfeed their child for a longer time, lower their risk of getting breast cancer at any stage after that. Estrogen, a hormone present in women that increases the risk of breast cancer and breastfeeding hampers its production in the body. After a certain age, womens who have had a family history of breast cancer can consult their doctors and ask them to prescribe estrogen blocking drugs.
6. Nutritional supplements: Vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants can helps to maintain body weight and gives energy these includes vegetarian and macrobiotic diets consisting mainly of beans and wholegrains that helps to balance female hormones.
7. Eat Dark Chocolate: Flavonoids like pentamer, present in cocoa, has cancer-fighting properties. Dark chocolate is rich in cocoa and is certainly one of the tastiest ways to help you stay away from cancer. Pollution, radiations and bad living habits pave the way for various kinds of cancer.
8. Sound sleep: Human body requires a minimum of 8 hours sleep to regulate all of its functions properly. Regular sleep helps in maintaining a healthy endocrine system and its ability to fight cancer. It is also essential to sleep in complete darkness to promote a healthy endocrine system.
9. Personal awareness: It is a well-known fact that by being a little aware of how your breasts feel and look, one might be able detect the disease. Try to feel your breasts at regular intervals. If you feel any lumps or something unusual, visit your doctor at once. It not necessarily means that the lump is cancerous and if it is, one can have sufficient time to treat it properly and get rid of the disease. So, Detect the symptoms, be aware. keep a check on family’s medical history.
10. Reduce Hazardous Interactions: There are a variety of environmental factors that can cause cancer. Radiation from mobile phones and other electronic devices can increase the chances of cancer. Limit your exposure to the minimum to combat cancer.
MONTHLY BREAST SELF-EXAMINATION
CHECK YOUR BREASTS USING THESE STEPS