Acidity refers to the excess secretion of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach secretes hydrochloric acid that is responsible for proper functioning of the digestive system. This acid further secretes various digestive enzymes like pepsin that break the food particles for easy digestion. A normal level of acid is required in the stomach for proper digestion of the complex foods. When there is less secretion of acid the food is not digested properly and in case of excess secretion it gives rise to a condition known as acidity. Causes of Acidity: Refined and fibreless food is the main cause of acidity. Stress is the other main cause. Smoking and excess of alcohol tends to weaken the nervous system, as a result the mucus membrane and the stomach lining stops functioning properly. High intakes of spicy foods, overeating and eating hurriedly are also the causes of acidity. Home Remedies for Acidity 1. Sucking a piece of clove will give relief from acidity. 2. Consumption of milk and milk products is beneficial during acidity. 3. Intake of fresh mint juice daily is the best home remedy for acidity. 4. Taking a mixture of two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of water before meals, will reduce the chances of acidity and is another good home remedy for acidity.
5. The fruits like watermelon, banana & cucumber also reduce acidity and is good natural remedy for acidity.
6. One of the effective home remedies for acidity is Herbal tea containing spearmint (pudina) and liquorice (mulethi). It is also beneficial instead of normal tea, coffee and other aerated drinks.
7. Drinking water in the early morning controls acidity, as water is a good neutralizer for acid. This is one of the effective acidity treatment.
8. A good Home Remedies for Acidity is to take two teaspoonfuls of white vinegar along with your meals. This will help in proper food digestion and will also control the Acidity that occurs in your stomach.
9. A good acidity remedy is to Suck 10 grams of jaggery after meals. It will prevent acid formation.
10. Drinking cabbage juice daily also prevents acidity.
11. It's always better to have the dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
12. A good natural remedy for acidity is to drink coconut water 3-4 times a day.
13. Eating yogurt will provide immediate relief from acidity. This is one of the effective home remedies for acidity.
14. Drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of soda is also beneficial and is good home remedy for acidity.
15. Take a small piece of ginger and convert it into pulp and add to this an equal amount of coriander. Mix both of them properly. Eat this as this is one of the good Home Remedies for Acidity.
16. Another effective acidity cure is to boil cumin seeds in a glass of water and drink it with meals.
17. Intake of spicy foods, fried foods and pickles should be avoided.
18. Unripe foods with high pectin content should also be avoided.
19. Frequent use of medicines like aspirin or disprin should be avoided.
20. Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise is an old and highly beneficial phrase. This good habit will prevent and control acidity.
Lecturer, Swasthavritta, Himalayiya Ayurvedic Medical College & Hospital Shyampur,
Rishikesh( Deharadon), Uttarakhand