1. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2. An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
3. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
4. The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
5. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
6. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
7. The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.
8. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
9. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
10. You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
11. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.
12. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.