Due to aging, physical stress, mental stress and environmental stress hair health is adversely affected and a lot of care is needed if you want your hair to be healthy, silky and lustrous. These ten herbs are best solution for care of your Hair. These herbs stimulate the hair follicles, enable blood circulation and leaves a soothing effect on the scalp. 1. Emblica officinalis–Amala: Stimulates hair growth (Romasanjana in ayurvedic terminology), nourishes the hair and scalp. Vit-c content and antioxidant activity of the fruit prevents premature graying of hair. It is an accepted hair tonic in traditional recipes for enriching hair growth and pigmentation. It helps hair to retain natural color and texture of hair and makes the hair strong and healthy.
2. Bacopa monnieri–Brahmi: The leaf extract is considered to be powerful liver tonic, rejuvenative and especially good for hair.
3. Glycyrrhiza Glabra–Madhuyashti: Glycyrrhiza Glabra has excellent properties ranging from controlling irritation, itching and minor allergies of scalp. It is widely used in Ayurvedic hair care formulations for promoting hair growth. Hair oil having Madhuyashti helps in excessive thinning, falling and premature baldness and dandruff.
4. Sesame Indicum–Til: Oil of sesame, leaves and roots all three are very potent for increasing the growth, texture and natural color of hair and this quality if Sesame is described in bible of Ayurveda i.e. Charak Samhita.
5. Abrus Precatorius Linn–Gunja: Both material medica’s of Ayurveda Bhav Parkash Nighantu and Kaidev Nighantu highly recommended the seeds of both the red and white types of Gunja for male pattern baldness.
6. Psoralia Corylifolia – Backuchi: Seed of Backuchi are effective in both premature graying of hair and premature falling of hair. It stimulates the skin of scalp and enhances the process of pigmentation in the skin and blood that’s how it helps in maintaining the natural color of the hair – Bhav Parkash Nighantu
7. Terminalia Belerica–Bhibitaki: Bhibitak is the one third ingredients of most popular ant aging and anti oxidant ayurvedic formulation TRIPHALA. In premature graying of hair its seed oil is having excellent results. The medicated hair oil of bibhitaka fruit boosts the hair growth and imparts black color to them. In day to day life, Baheda is used as externally for hair wash also.
8. Eclipta Alba–Bhringraj: It is a rejuvenator, beneficial to hair & skin. The medicated oils of bhringraj are widely used as hair tonic and to prevent hairfall and premature graying of hair. Bhringraj is the most praised herb in the Ayurvedic Materia Medica’s for its properties of promoting hair growth and hair complexion.
9. Indigofera Tinctoria – Neeli: Due to its hair coloring property in Ayurvedic its name is Ranjini also. Most important materia medica of Ayurvedic Herbs Bhav Parkash described its leaves as hair growth promoting, hair texture and pigmentation promoting, when used externally.
10. Cocos Nucifera Linn – Narikel: In the world hair market, costliest hair are coming from South Indian ladies because of their best quality of hair and South India ladies traditionally massage their hair with coconut oil on daily basis. Famous Ayurvedic Treatise Kaidev Nighantu had a lot of praise for Coconut for its tremendous hair nurturing & strengthening properties.
Hair Care Tips:
• Use a mild shampoo, baby shampoos can be used.
• Avoid too much hot water on your head; finish, if possible, with mildly cold water.
• Gently towel dry hair avoid rubbing head with towel roughly.
• Do not brush wet hair.
• Avoid heating hair with curlers & dryers.
• Brush your hair before bed for blood circulation to the roots
• Try to avoid polyester pillows or any other static materials; use a cotton pillow or spread a cotton towel over a pillow.
Dr. Sanjeev Sood is Prof. & Head of Panchakarma Department, Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar.
Visiting faculty to EISRA-Holland, ICAU-Belgium & Medicarom-Romania.
+ 91 9814004142, email@example.com