It is rightly said that, “Happiness is a state of mind”. Happiness had eluded us. The dictionary defines the word “happy” as having, showing, or causing a feeling of great pleasure, contentment, joy, etc.” When you win or if someone agrees with you, you are happy. Again, if someone disagrees with your view point, you are unhappy. This happiness is a result of something you wanted; a craving that was gratified. Your actually need to adopt a mental attitude which is least likely to get your feelings hurt. If you keep the following points in your mind it will be easy for you to attain happiness.
1. You have no enemies: Someone hurts you badly and refer to him as your enemy. If you analyse the situation more carefully, you will find that the person is hurting your feelings because you want him to behave in a particular way and he does not. You should feel sorry for him but not annoyed. Remember the words of lord Buddha;
“ The slanderer is like one who flings dust at another when the wind is contrary; the dust returns on him who threw it. The virtuous man cannot be hurt; the misery comes back on the slanderer”
The fact is that people will change in a variety of ways. It is difficult to control their behavior. It is easier to control yourself and your mental attitude.
2. Insecurity-the root of unhappiness: The basic cause of neurosis, particularly in the western world, is insecurity. Fear overrides most situations. One is afraid of the unknown; afraid of what might happen next. If we practice the relevant technique and listen to the inner-voice, our sense of insecurity will be considerably reduced. We will be for happier that we are now.
3. Ignorance-The cause of all unhappiness: We are more concerned with collecting information than securing true knowledge. Meditation goes right into the depth of an individual and the cure through meditation is more lasting. The immediate result of meditation is to relieve tension. Meditation increases mental alertness and physical energy.
4. Love the enemy: This sounds rather strange and as if extracted from a religious look. However, think of this deeply remember the words of the prophet Mohammad:
“And if a man abuse thee, and lay a vice which he knew in thee then do not disclose one which thee knowest in him. When sense abuses you, you want to retaliate. Refrain from doing so. You will be stronger for it. You will develp your willpower and gain control over your emotions. This is not a weakness but strength.
5. Planning future happiness: In addition to looking after your health and adopting the right mental attitude, you must remember that one has to suffer the result of past ‘kama’. Think constructively but do not brood. Communicate happiness: If you communicate happiness, it will be returned to you. Remember that every action produces a reaction. If you long your fest against the wall, you hurt your knuckles. You can develop the power of giving joy & happiness to others by showing friendliness towards the happy, compassion towards the unhappy & delight in the virtuous. Love for humanity: Develop in yourself a love for the whole human rack and everything around you. Listen to the words of Guru Nanak- The highest- religion is to rise to universal brotherhood.
6. Power of the mind: Try out this experiment concentrate on the current passing down your arms and through your fingers in a short while, you will experience a tingling sensation in your fingers. This gives you an idea of how powerful your mind is. Use this power to make happy.
7. Believe in yourself: Swami Vivekananda Points. Out— all power is within you; you can do anything and everything. Believe in that; do not believe that you are weak; You can do anything. All power is there. Stand up and express the divinity within you.”