12 Ayurvedic Remedies for Hair Care
Ayurvedic treatments are popular choice among many women for hair loss because they incorporate natural ingredients and have been effective cure for hair fall since ancient times. Let us look how ayurveda can help to tackle hair fall.
1. Bhringraj- ‘BhringRaj’ means king of herbs. It helps to promote hair growth and reverse balding. It can be used to prevent premature graying . It has a calming effect when applied to scalp and helps insomniacs sleep better.
Use- Blend 5-6 tsp dried bhringraj leaves with water to get a consistent thick paste and apply on scalp for 20 min and wash with shampoo. It should be applied at least thrice a week and alternatively give a scalp massage with bhringraj oil.
2. Amla (Indian gooseberry)- Amla, a conditioning ingredient, improves scalp health by tackling dandruff & scalp aggravation. When used with shikakai, it acts as a natural dye that imparts a natural brown colour to hair.
Process: Combine 5-6 tsp amla powder with water to get a thick smooth paste and apply to hair. Leave for 30 min and then wash with lukewarm water. Alternatively amla juice should be used for scalp and hair treatment.
3. Neem- Regular use of neem on scalp improves blood circulation, strengthens roots and promotes hair growth. It is used to treat lice. Neem also helps when scalp gets affected with dryness, scaliness, eczema and excess sebum.
Process- Boil neem leaves in water for 15 min. Cook the solution and strain. Collect in a jug. After washing and conditioning the hair, pour the neem water as a final rinse. Do not apply water after it.
4. Reetha- When used regularly, it promotes hair growth & improves texture and volume. It is very mild in nature and can be used to cleanse the hair everyday.
Preparation- Soak soap nuts overnight in water and boil for 15 min in morning and cool aside. Strain the solution in a jug. Rinse hair with water and apply soap solution on hair and massage for 5 min. Then wash with water.
5. Shikakai- Shikakai detangles the hair & make them manageable. When combined with water, it can be used to cleanse hair effectively. It is rich in antioxidants which make it perfect for restoring scalp health and treating hair fall.
6. Ashwagandha- It is an amazing herb for hair growth. It is commonly used medicine for hair growth. When applied to scalp, cures hair loss & helps to enhance scalp circulation. It is an excellent remedy for dandruff & stimulates production of melanin, an essential factor for hair color.
Preparation- Combine ashwagandha powder with amla powder and make a thick paste with water. Apply the paste on scalp & leave it for 30 minutes, then wash off with herbal shampoo. It can be used thrice a week.
It strengthens hair & promotes their growth. It provides nourishment to roots & enhances new follicle growth. It helps in reducing dandruff, lessens itching of scalp & reduces split ends. When applied regularly, it covers hair follicles with a layer that makes hair shiny & thick.
Preparation- Two tablespoon dried brahmi leaves+ two tablespoon of dried amla powder + two tablespoon of dried ashwagandha powder and half cup yogurt. This combination should be made into a thick paste & applied from roots to tips. Leave for 1 hour & wash with lukewarm water. This can be used thrice a week.
It helps to purify blood and improves circulation. It provides nourishment to scalp & helps to boost hair growth.
Preparation- Apply 5-6 drops of Jatamansi essential oil in 2-3 tablespoon til oil and massage the scalp for 15 minutes with this oil. Leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo & lukewarm water. It can be used thrice a week.
It is an excellent remedy for hair fall and a best remedy for dandruff.
Preparation: Mix two tablespoon methi powder with water and make it into a thick paste. Apply this paste on scalp and keep for 20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water. This can be applied twice a week.
10. Aloe Vera
It has proven usage in ayurveda. It is an excellent ingredient for boosting scalp health, curing hair fall & promoting hair growth too.
Preparation- Mix half cup aloe vera gel+ three tablespoon coconut oil+ two tablespoon honey. Combine all ingredients and make a thick paste. Apply on scalp & keep for 30 minutes & then wash with lukewarm water. It can be applied twice a week.
11. Hot oil massage with Ayurvedic oils- Hot oil massage of either coconut oil, mahabhringraj oil, Amla oil, sesame seed oil, almond/brahmi oil to improve circulation.This rejuvenates blood circulation to roots and increases volume and length within 6 months.
Preparation- Take oil blend & heat it to slightly warm. Massage this oil blend for 15 minutes & leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo & lukewarm water. It can be applied either twice or thrice a week.
It is important to remember that topical treatment alone by itself cannot cure hair fall effectively. These remedies should be used in combination with healthy lifestyle to achieve best result and for unhindered hair growth.
Dealing with hairfall is tough but with these treatments & handy tips you can restore your hair to former glory in no time.
Lifestyle Tips for Efficient Hair Growth
1. Sleep at least 8-10 hours every night.
2. Drink plenty of liquids.
3. Intake of healthy diet for proper functioning of body.
4. Avoid indulgence in alcohol, cigarettes & other intoxicants.
5. Consume lots of raw organic veggies & salads on regular basis.
6. Deal with stress & sleeplessness effectively with yoga & exercise.