Spices used in Indian Kitchen apart from their taste value are having a great therapeutic value, actually Ayurvedic health care starts right from Indian Kitchen as almost all the herbs used as spices have antioxidant property, and some other important therapeutic properties cardamom and coriander are as following. Chhoti Elaichi: Cardamom-Latin name- Elettaria cardamomum. It is known as queen of spices & is valued all over the world. The therapeutic properties of cardamom are due to its volatile oil. Here are some of the medicinal properties of Cardamom.
1. It relieves gas and heart-burn caused by onion & garlic.
2. It increases appetite & soothes the mucous membrane.
3. Tea made from cardamom is useful in headache caused by indigestion.
4. Ground cardamom seeds mined with ginger cloves & coriander is an effective remedy for indigestion.
5. Cardamom is a breath freshener.
6. The herb is used in several dysfunctions like impotency & premature ejaculation.
7. The powdered seeds of cardamom mixed with a table spoon full of banana leaf & amla juice taken thrice a day serves as an excellent diuretic for the treatment of gonorrhea, cystitis & nephritis.
8. A pinch of powdered cardamom seeds boiled in milk & sweetened with homey every night gives good results but its excessive use should be avoided.
9. Cardamom oil stimulates the mind & heart & brings joy.
10. It detoxifies caffeine if used in coffee.
11. When feeling week & mentally fatigued, cardamom oil can help with its refreshing & uplifting effect.
12. Cardamom's expectorant property helps to clear cough.
13. Cardamom is good for Pitta because it kindles Agni.
14. Current research has revealed cardamom's potential therapeutic value as an inhibitior of human platelet aggregation.
Dhania: (Coriander stivum): It is rich in various elements. It has mineral & vitamin contents like calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C. It is also having sodium, potassium & oxalic acid. Here are some of the medicinal properties of coriander:
1. The leaves of coriander are stimulant & tonic.
2. It strengthens the stomach & promotes its action, relieves flatulence, increase secretion & discharge of urine & reduces fever.
3. It also act as aphrodisiac & help in the removal of phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
4. The leaves can be used by making chutney or by putting in curries & soups.
5. For digestive disorders of all sorts one or two teaspoon full of coriander juice is added to fresh buttermilk & taken twice a day.
6. A chutney made of dry coriander, green chilies, grated coconut, ginger & black grapes without seeds are a remedy for abdominal pains due to indigestion.
7. Regular drinking of coriander water helps lower blood cholesterol because it stimulates the kidney.
8. A decoction prepared from freshly dried coriander is an excellent eye wash in conjunctivitis.
If these herbs are used along with taking proper rest, sleep, sex, exercise, meditation & a regulated dincharya & ritucharya all the three dosha remained balanced & perfect health prevails.