Rose flower is known as beautiful, aromatic creation of God. It is regarded as the best representation of love. It is related with sympathy also. As one of the most enduring symbols for endearment and appreciation, roses are among the most admired and evocative of flowers. The rose is one among the only flowers mentioned in The Bible (the other two are lilies and campfire).
Rose flower is known as beautiful, aromatic creation of God. It is regarded as the best representation of love. It is related with sympathy also. As one of the most enduring symbols for endearment and appreciation, roses are among the most admired and evocative of flowers. The rose is one among the only flowers mentioned in The Bible (the other two are lilies and campfire). Rose plant may differ from erect shrub to climbing and trailing plant. Its shades vary from delicate whites through vibrant yellows and deep reds. There are more than 100 species of rose. In Ayurveda, it is named as taruni or shatpattri. Besides giving ultimate freshness to mind and soul, it exhibits beneficial properties for health of human beings. It is packed with many important components like flavonoids, phenolic compounds, ethanolic compounds, anthocyanins. terpenes and glycosides which function as antioxidants, anti depressants, anti-inflammatory and antiseptics.
Rose can be made beneficial to health in many forms like rose water, rose tea, rose oil & rose powder.
It is created by distilling petals with steam. It has been traditionally in use in medicines as farback as 7th century. It contains numerous powerful benefits in it.
Health Benefits of Rose Water
Skin is the largest organ of our body . It acts as a barrier against UV radiations, chemicals and pollution. The antioxidants in rose water protect the skin against damage. It acts as anti inflammatory for skin and relieves the conditions of eczema, rashes & urticaria.
It acts as antiaging product reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It works by inhibiting the action of diastase and collagenase enzymes. It curbs the free radicals and leaves soft and radiating skin.
Rose water prepared under sterile conditions can be instilled in the eyes. It functions as a coolant and thus helpful in allergic conditions of eyes. It acts as a lubricant in dry eye conditions.
Ingestion of rose water or inhalation of vapors has been used as a good way to improve a person's mood. It helps to induce sleep. It gives positive results in diseases like depression, stress & grief. It is known to be effective in dementia.
It is very effective in benign condition of headache like migraine and tension type headache.
Rose water is soothing and anti-inflammatory liquid. It is helpful in treating soreness in throat due to viral & allergic conditions. It can act as a relaxant on the muscles of throat.
It is very effective for the digestive system. It works by increasing bile flow. It is very helpful for the people suffering from constipation.
Regular mouth wash with rose water fights the mouth bacteria responsible for bad breath.
Rose tea is one of the best herbal teas to add to daily diet and keeps the body healthy. It is packed with vitamin C, malic acid, protein and citric acid.
Rose Tea Preparation
1. Take dried rose petals & clean thoroughly with water.
2. Take deep bottomed saucepan and put 2 cups of water in it.
3. Let the water with petals boil for 5 minutes and then remove from the flame.
4. Strain the water into a cup and take the tea once or twice a day.
Health Benefits of Rose Tea
1. Heavy menses
Women suffering from heavy periods with intense pain can get relief by taking rose tea adding black pepper powder and honey to it. This tea alleviates the heavy blood flow, lowers the pain and regulates the irregular cycles.
Laxative properties of rose tea enable it to act as a natural cure for constipation.
The antidepressant and tranquilizing properties make it beneficial as sleep inducing drink.
It is a zero calorie drink and calms down hunger pangs and is thus helpful in controlling body weight.
It helps prevent urinary tract infections due to its diuretic properties.
It helps fight infections due to presence of vitamin C in it.
7. Enhances digestive power
Natural acids in flower petal tea are known to lift stomach force. It feeds gastric mucosa & clears out the growth of bad micro-organisms in the gut.
It is an important ingredient in the perfume industry. Extraction of small amount of the oil requires huge amount of roses. The odour of the rose comes from the microscopic glands on the petals. It can be extracted from rose petals by steam distillation or solvent extraction method. Rose oil contains chemicals active against bacteria.
Health benefits of Rose Oil
1. Healer- Rose oil contains ethanol which helps heal chronic mouth ulcers & gum diseases and cracked feet.
2. Stress buster- It reduces the level of cortisol, a stress hormone and boosts the mood.
3. Anti-anxiety- Massage of hands, feet and head with rose oil is very beneficial in anxiety.
4. Antiseptic- Application of rose oil on skin helps eradicate bad body odours.
Rose Jam (Gulkand)
Gulkand is a rose petal jam. It is a sweet Indian delicacy with a delightful, intense rosy fragrance. It is believed to be from ancient Indo Persia. Gul means 'flower' and kand (Qand) means sweet in Arabic. Damask rose is used to prepare gulkand as it has a strong fragrance. Damask rose blooms twice a year in the summer and in autumn. Flower of any variety of rose can be used to prepare gulkand.
Health Benefits of Gulkand
1. Heat related ailments- Beneficial in alleviating heat related problems like burning feet & hands, heat stroke and nose bleed.
2. Ulcer- It is helpful in relieving chronic and recurrent mouth ulcers and gastric ulcers.
3. Acne- It serves as a great deep cleanser, so helpful in treating acne.
4. Leucorrhoea- It reduces the complaint of white discharge in women.
5. Bleeding piles- It is useful in controlling bleeding and pain of piles.
6. Hyper Acidity- It lowers the release of excess acid in the stomach due to its cooling properties.
Recipe to make Gulkand
1. Fresh rose petals are washed and dried with fine towel.
2. Equal amount of petals and sugar are taken and alternatively layered in a clear jar. Cardamom and fennel powder can be added to it. The jar is tightly closed with a lid.
3. The jar is kept in sunshine for 8 hours every day for a month.
4. After a month, it is ready to consume.
The seed bearing fruit of the rose plant is rose hip. It is full of antioxidants. The tea made of rose hips acts as anti-inflammatory in immune disorders.
Although rose is commonly known as beautiful decorative piece, but it is full of plenty of health benefits mentioned above. These rose formulations are considered to be safe for use for any age group. There is no risk to use it either externally on skin or orally. The only exception is allergy to the substance.
Dr. Sanjeev Sood
Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar. Mob.: 9814004142 email@example.com